Thursday, October 8, 2015

DIY Off the Should Sweatshirt

So this is not your typical hair post but is still somewhat related.  Fall has come and the weather is starting to get cooler. Of course that means it's time to bring out everything warm, cozy, and cute.
Well some of you may know that I am currently transitioning to natural hair. I'm actually right around 81 weeks post. I've made it just over a year and a half! Woot! Lately I've been loving a lot of the natural hair apparel that I have seen popping up on my Instagram feed with words of inspiration for natural gals. I just love it...but sometimes these items can be a little bit pricey.  Well, my sis planted the seed in my head of designing my own so I figured I'd give it a shot!



I watched a few videos on making your own off the should sweatshirt and there didn't seem to be too much to it. I will be honest and say that I wasn't completely happy with my results but it was not too awful for my first attempt.  Here are the items that I used for my project.

1. Medium sized men's Fruit of the Loom Sweatshirt from Walmart
2. Iron on Lettering purchased from Hobby Lobby
3. Scissors
4. Measuring Tape
5. Iron

I wanted to do a video of my first DIY attempt at designing my own sweatshirt, but my video recording application on my laptop did not want to cooperate with me; so no video. I thought that would have been fun to do.  If you want to attempt your own project, I'd suggest watching a few videos before attempting as I wish I had done. I found one the I wish I had seen after I had already started cutting. She was the one that used measuring tape, which I didn't have at first. LOL! I am posting her video below.  I liked the care she took in cutting the neckline.  She is actually doing a t-shirt hear and not a sweatshirt; but similar concept.




Here is the finished result of my sweatshirt! I was not completely happy, but of course it was a learning experience. First I think I bought the sweatshirt too big for my liking.  Secondly, I think I made the neckline too big. I definitely wish I had measured first and I might have been happier with it.



I didn't know what I wanted it to say but my sis and I were browsing around Hobby Lobby and she saw the lettering that spelled out L-O-V-E.  I looked at her and said "How would I use that". "Natural Love" she said to me. Duh moment! But I loved it.  I purchased additional lettering for the "Natural" part of my shirt.  I just followed the directions on the packaging to iron on the letters and Voila! My own off -the-shoulder natural inspired sweatshirt. And I must say it is SUPER comfy and cozy!





So what do you guys think? Have you done any DIY projects lately? Do tell!


Thanks so much for dropping by!
Lots of LOVE!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,
    I am so happy you are joining the natural team. Whatever your reason is, I support you. I love that shirt on you. I will try to create my own one day and link back to you. Crocheting is my weakness when it comes to DIY projects. Happy weekend, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nerline! I can't wait to see your creation. Please let me know when you do!

      Delete
  2. It's cute! I think you did very well for a first attempt! Hold up you are transitioning? How did I miss that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydz!!!! I think I will get it better the next time. And yeah I finally decided to transition. LOL! I guess i didn't officially announce but I started falling for my natural texture and stopped looking forward to self relaxing. LOL...think it was the latter that made it official for me. Ha ha!!

      Delete

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. :)

Featured Post...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2020!!!!

Happy Holidays to the one person that might be reading this!  Mine have been a bit busy with studying for exams. I'm trying to cram a lo...

Popular Posts