Thursday, July 11, 2013

Just a Brief Update

So this is kind of just a random update I guess.  Still can't believe we're already into the second half of the year. Wow time is flying quick.  I believe October will be my 1 year hair anniversary. Well September was my last bone straight relaxer AND the last time I decided to let a stylist work on my hair. DIY from then on out except for my trims which I'm hoping to start handling myself at some point. I can't wait to see where I am after a year.

I've been trying so hard to be patient, especially with my transition to texlaxed.  I still feel like I'm seeing more shedding and breakage than I like.  Not quite sure what's considered normal, but it's not in clumps so I guess that's a good thing. Still battling with the whole moisture/protein balance. I'm also still struggling with my nape still. It just seems to be growing so slow. I think this is the area of my hair that grows the slooooowest.  I have been babying it as much as possible, moisturizing, and massaging with JBCO.  I always relax this area last so it is just barely processed.  I noticed that the texture back there is very tiny coils and I mean they are tiny, so I've been trying my best to handle with care.  Because it is still very textured and coily that may be why it seems like there's barely any growth, but I know it's growing. 

On my washday last weekend, I was doing my green tea rinse and just happened to really notice how much tex-laxed hair I have.  I cannot stress how ready I am to be completely texlaxed (though I've had some thoughts creep up on me about going back to bone straight)....But my texlaxed hair is SOOO much thicker. I love that!
 

Texture shot after green tea rinse (bone straight ends are clumping together)
I am currently about 8 weeks post. I think I have about an inch of new growth more or less in some areas.  I had planned to try to install box braids (DIY) but I have in no way prepared for this  Plus I'm afraid I might get a little overwhelmed.  I know it will take a whole day if not more.  I'd prefer to do it myself because I know how gentle I need to be, and I just can't find it in me to allow someone else to touch my hair again.  Too many bad experiences.  I haven't ruled it out yet, just have to mentally prepare myself for all that braiding. YIKES!
 
 
An update on my goals for this month. I am just not off to the best start.  I was really hoping I would be able to hit it hard this time around.  So sad that I'm already admitting defeat so early in the game. lol. I'll elaborate on that more on my July Goals recap at the end of the month.
 
Well that's it for now. I hope you all are hitting your short term/long term goals and making great progress on your hair goals as well. Until next post...
 
Thanks for reading,
   Andrea 

29 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my shedding and breakage, I'm still trying to figure out what is normal. To me I always see more than I would like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be so happy to see no hair at all come out, but that is only a dream. lol. I do feel a lot better when I see that it's mostly shed hairs tho, but I'm hoping the green tea will reduce that somewhat.

      Delete
  2. I love how thick your texlaxed roots are! It looks like you have at least 4-5 inches of texlaxed hair which is amazing growth for just 10 months. I can't wait to see where you are at your anniversary! #silverlining

    If you're not protein sensitive, I say keep rotating hard protein and moisturizing conditioning treatments. This always curbs breakage for me.

    www.savingourstrands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, KLP! All that touches had for me excited!
      I don't think I'm protein sensitive I'm just not sure how often I should be incorporating protein. how often do you rotate your treatments?

      Delete
  3. Your texlaxed hair is GAWJUS! I know how hard it is to find you perfect protein/moisture balance.AFter years of experiment and struggle (lol) I finally figured out that mine is 55% moisture/45% Protein (My High Po. hair ADORES protein).

    PowerToThePJ.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you mean it could take me years??!! :O
      oh btw my order of marshmallow root and slippery elm bark came in yesterday. Gotta pick up a few other items and then EnExit's slippy condish mix here I come! :)

      Delete
  4. the thickness is amazing andrea! you are doing something right with your hair otherwise you wouldnt have this great results.I love it.

    As far as for the braiding, just take your time. its not that hard nor its easy peasy but as soon as you master your own braiding technique the rest will go smooth. Dont give it up,yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bebe! I just can't wait to have all that thickness at my goal length. I'm getting so excited just thinking about it!
      I really want to do those braids but I'm afraid I'll get frustrated and give up. maybe I will butter my sis up and con her into helping me. lol

      Delete
  5. I heart that thickness soo much!!! It seems we don't just share a name but also all the same hair struggles!! Every wash day, every time I moisturise and seal I'm always like 'argh shed hair! argh why so much breakage?!' but I just don't know what's normal for me yet. I know my hair likes protein cos it's high porosity (I think lol!) and needs it because of the relaxers but balancing with moisture...not quite there yet and don't even get me started on my nape!!
    Perseverance, patience, positive thinking and prayer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! "Perseverance, patience, positive thinking and prayer" that is definitely what it takes! We will both get there for sure. :)

      Delete
  6. The thickness of a head full of texlaxed hair will be well worth it Andrea! Just hang in there! You will get some breakage, you just have to keep it minimal. Are you removing shed hair thoroughly on wash days? Does your leave in and conditioner leave both texures soft and manageable? Does your hair stay moisturized after you MnS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm removing the shed hair pretty thoroughly. I think my leave-ins are working okay so far for both textures (my hair seems to feel softer when I set it and air dry versus air-drying without setting for some reason.) I'm still trying to figure which DC will work best for both textures. I think my texlaxed hair needs more moisture. Would it be best to use two DC's (one for my texlaxed roots and one for the bone straight ends).
      As far as breakage your post made me feel better when you mentioned that breakage "will happen" when transitioning, but I just don't know how much is too much. It seems for the most part that the hairs that come out when I detangle most of them have bulbs. So I think the shedding is more than the breakage.

      Delete
  7. I totally get you. Sometimes I think I have the protein/moisture balance figured out, but it's not easy. Don't get me started on shedding. I never want to see them, even if I must shed. But Andrea I think all the efforts you put in your hair is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your texlaxed hair looks great! Hang in there hun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there! It's harder to stick to hair routines in the summer, easier to get distracted and such. Luckily our hair grows faster in the summer to compensate. Your hair looks great! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats to you! i've decided to transition to natural so I am praying that by June of next year I can say I'm 1 year HHJ!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naija! Wishing you the best on your transition to natural.

      Delete
  11. Well done hun.. your texlaxed hair looks so thick and healthy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for ur comment :) xx lol i need to go back to gym too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you, Tasia! I'm ready for MBL texlaxed hair and... one day it WILL happen! ;)

      Delete
  14. As I said before.. hair looking healthy! :) thanks for ur comment on my feature.. & take care hun x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your one year anniversary is coming up, I think you have a lot to be proud of, think am just coming to terms with moisture and protein, it's definitely not a 'balanced' scales as I thought it was! Amazing texture!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great success! I totally know how frustrating it can get trying to balance moisture + protein to avoid breakage. For me, when my hair feels "limp and/or too soft" I implement protein, and when my hair feels "dry and/or brittle" I implement moisture. Listening to my hair took time and like you said patience, but it worked out for the best! Best of wishes to you + Cheers to us!

    XO | KIMBERLYLUXE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very frustrating, but getting better with time as I learn more about my hair and what it's trying to tell me. Thank you, Kim! Cheers! :)

      Delete

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. :)

Featured Post...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2020!!!!

Happy Holidays to the one person that might be reading this!  Mine have been a bit busy with studying for exams. I'm trying to cram a lo...

Popular Posts