Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wash Day and Length Update

I don't know what it is, but I am constantly wanting to cut my hair. I don't want to cut my hair, but I want to cut my hair....if that makes since. I never feel like my ends are as thick as I'd like.  I think my last trim was around August and I think I cut quite a bit; around 2 or 3 inches. With my wishy washy transitioning/stretch (LOL) I guess my lack of length retention might be expected.  Going from bone straight, to texlaxed, to maybe natural...my hair is probably as confused as I am!

Since I really wanted to go ahead and get this trim out of the way, this wash day was all about protein and moisturizing in preparation for my flat ironing and trim session.  Here's how this wash day experience went down.

The Cast of This Weeks Wash Day Experience

Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter Conditioner|ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo|
ORS Hair Mayonnaise|Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Conditioner|Argan Oil|
Kinky Curly Knot Today|ApHogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructurizer
GVP Silk Remedy
1. I parted my hair into four sections and applied Silk Dream's Wheat Germ Butter conditioner as I detangled. No particular reason for this, I was just trying to use up product.

2. Shampooed with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo to clarify my hair.

3. Deep conditioned under my heating cap with ORS Hair Mayonnaise for a protein boost.

4. Next I applied Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Conditioner and Argan Oil to seal in the moisture. I had planned to steam rinse and blow dry, but I was so tired I ended up leaving it in overnight.

5. The next morning I sat under my hair steamer for about 20 minutes with the conditioner and oil in my hair and allowed my hair to cool off before rinsing.

6.  Next I towel dried my hair for about 20 minutes, then I applied my leave-ins which were:  Kinky Curly Knot Today, ApHogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructurizer, and GVP Silk Remedy as my sealant and heat protectant.

7. I blow dried my hair using the cool setting which feels more like look warm when I turn up the air speed on the blow dryer.

8. Finally I flat ironed using the comb chase method and trimmed my ends.



I clipped about 1 to 1.5 or so inches from each section as I flat ironed my hair, so I didn't get a before and after comparison pic.  I figured it would be quicker to trim as I flat ironed so I didn't have to go back through all over again.  This was my first time trimming this way.  I wanted to make sure to trim off any thin, damaged, or split ends.  After I finished trimming by section, I pulled my hair back in a low pony tail and snipped a little off the tip. I don't think it turned out too bad. I could probably trim a little more.




Looks like I'm still at APL, which is about where I was back in October.  This year I haven't been so concerned with my length retention as much as just overall healthy hair and learning about how to manage my natural texture.  My nape has also been a major focus. You can read about my most recent update here.  My ultimate goal is still to reach a long thick and healthy MBL length and I definitely plan to get there.

So how was your wash day?  Have you met any of your ultimate hair goals for 2014?


Thanks for reading and HHG!


17 comments:

  1. Not a bad job on the trim! Are you transitioning to natural or just doing a really long stretch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I don't know why I skipped your first paragraph! You are still deciding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yep I just can't make up my mind, but I won't be relaxing at all until I'm 100% sure this time! I'm trying to hang in there! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Your hair has grown loads! You are pretty much heading to BSL not fair at all! Oh I see your journey is good so well! Honestly you are doing something very right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Yvonne! I sure hope I see BSL some time next year, and you will be there too before you know it! :)

      Delete
    2. I second that Yvonne! Your hair looks great and its getting soooo long! Give your ends some time to catch up in terms of thickness with your roots. I always think that my ends look terrible then I flat iron only to see that---meh---its not all that bad! My roots just look soooo full that it makes my ends horrible!

      Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

      KLP @ SavingOurStrands

      Delete
    3. Thanks, KLP! Looking back at the pic I guess I am closer to BSL than I thought. I guess I still can't believe how much my hair has really grown.
      And you're right, I bet if I had completely flat ironed before trimming, I might not have trimmed at all. Next time I will finish straightening then trim. No need to lose length unnecessarily!

      Delete
  4. Keep your hair the way it is. A trim is just what you needed honey. Don't go natural unless you are 100% sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nerline! Managing multiple textures is not easy, but I am trying to hang in there.

      Delete
  5. Lol@your hair is probably as confused as you are hahaha! I like the flat iron and trim method saves so much time and your hair looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a good job on your hair. You can snip the rest in time but no rushing required.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks great! I know what you mean about want/not wanting to trim your ends. The story of my life! I had my boyfriend hide my trimming sheers lol

    Bree
    quirkybrownlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bree! Yes, I definitely need to get someone to hide my sheers from me. LOL

      Delete

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. :)

Featured Post...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2020!!!!

Happy Holidays to the one person that might be reading this!  Mine have been a bit busy with studying for exams. I'm trying to cram a lo...

Popular Posts